$0.00 – $150.00
This interactive workshop supports purposeful decision-making about which summer writing projects to prioritize now.
Planning Summer Writing Projects: Prioritizing Purpose over Productivity
- What writing feels especially urgent at this time—personally and collectively?
- What writing are you longing to bring forth or to devote time and energy toward?
- How can you make writing a priority this summer without falling into self-doubt, writer’s block, overwhelm, productivity pressures, or other things that derail writing?
These questions will drive this interactive workshop that involves identifying and using “the strong yes” to prioritize summer writing projects.
As we enter summer, there’s potential for prioritizing writing, but how? How do we prioritize what matters to us—the projects with real purpose—rather than falling into writing for the sake of writing, or productivity mode?
Together, we’ll use contemplative, body-based practices for grounding and guiding the planning process. After practicing five methods for finding the strong yes, we’ll apply those methods through writing time. We’ll also consider our relationships to writing and what derails us as writers—making plans for how to regain our focus and energy whenever we struggle (as all writers do).
In total, we’ll spend this time feeling and thinking about what writing we’re called to do—and why. And we’ll respond to various pressures that weigh on our writing and ourselves as writers.
When will the workshop be offered?
Choose from one of two sessions:
Friday, May 13th 3-5pm ET (starting at 2pm CT, 1pm MT, 12pm PT)
Friday, June 10th 3-5pm ET (starting at 2pm CT, 1pm MT, 12pm PT)
How will the workshop be structured?
The workshop will move through the following segments with a break mid-way through the 2-hours:
1. Welcoming with Introductions and Grounding Practice
2. Asking What and Why Are We Called to Write
3. Using Your “Strong Yes” to Guide Decision-Making
4. Breaking Patterns that Undercut and Derail Writing
5. Building Patterns that Inspire and Affirm Writing
6. Approaching Time Differently
7. Closing with Intention-Seeking
What is the cost?
There are several registration options:
- Become a Patreon subscriber at any tier, and attend this workshop for free. Subscribers also receive a range of benefits, which you can read about here.
- Pay the full price of this workshop ($50), which includes a one-day writing retreat.
- Register for free if the cost is prohibitive for any reason. No questions asked.
- Add on registration for a one-with-one or small-group coaching session by paying for a single coaching session ($150) or using a pre-paid session through your Patreon subscription.
Who will facilitate this workshop?
This program is offered by Beth Godbee, Ph.D., a public educator and writer with deep commitments to social, racial, and environmental justice.
Beth brings years of experience as a writer and writing teacher (previously tenured professor in composition, rhetoric, and literacy studies). She’s both participated in and led writing groups and has worked in writing centers, community literacy programs, and writing across the curriculum programs for many years.
How can I learn more?
Contact Beth with any questions, concerns, or accessibility considerations.
|Planning Summer Writing Projects: registration options||
$0: Friday, May 13th — Subscriber or Cost-Prohibitive Registration, $50: Friday, May 13th — Full Price Registration, $0: Friday, June 10th — Subscriber or Cost-Prohibitive Registration, $50: Friday, June 10th — Full Price Registration, $150: Coaching add-on